Christmas Chapel gives students platform to perform, honors Christ’s birth

Abbey Long, Staff Reporter

The annual Christmas chapel at Northlake Christian School occurred this past weekend on Sunday, Dec. 9 at 5:00 p.m. in the Wood Gym. This year’s chapel included performances from Praise Team, Theatre, Beginner and Concert Band, and Vocal Ensemble. The service also included students reading scripture and a song on the bells from the fifth and sixth graders. Every student in the program worked hard to prepare for the night.

The bell performance was followed by vocal ensemble singing Christmas songs centered around Christ’s birth. The song set included both “Mary Did You Know” and “O Holy Night.” Praise team director Kate Boudreaux helped lead the chapel and enjoyed performing with her students.

“My seniors got to pick their favorites since it is their last fine arts Christmas program. I love rehearsing songs together,” said Boudreaux.

One of the most memorable parts of the night was the short play scene called “The Secret Is in the Praise.” The play, which focused on conveying the message that praising God helps people through the hard times in life, was performed by senior Olivia King and sophomore Seth Rodivich, and was written by Theatre teacher Kelann Sigl.

“I wanted to focus on and communicate to our audiences what is really important in our lives, not just at Christmas, but every day of the year,” said Sigl. “Focusing on the many blessings in our lives takes our eyes off of ourselves and onto Jesus, in the good, as well as the difficult times of our lives.”

Another highlight of the night was the performance by vocal ensemble. The vocalists sang a mashup of “What Child Is This,” “Little Drummer Boy,” and “What Mercy Did For Me.” The group of six harmonized with each other beautifully and impressed the audience with their songs.

“My favorite part of the night was singing with everyone. I like singing on stage a lot,” said junior and vocal ensemble member Lori Foreman. “It was fun because everyone worked really hard to prepare. It went really well— it was a success!”

The chapel concluded with a prayer over junior Caleb Lewis, a student who was hospitalized recently due to a concussion, and a singing of “Come Thou Font,” a traditional ending to Christmas chapel every year. This year’s chapel was both a combination of classic tradition and new exciting things that have occurred this year.