NCS Newspaper

Lower School Principal leaves legacy for students

Zac Ballard, Staff Reporter

Lower School Principal Missie Arnold has been working at Northlake for 12 years, seven of those years as Lower School Principal, and five years teaching English. With the 2017-2018 school year coming to a close and unexpected changes occuring in the school, Arnold will be moving on to a new path in her career, but one she hopes will remain in Christian education.

Overall, Arnold has spent 23 years in Christian education. She gives credit to God for leading her down that path.

“As a young girl, I knew God was calling me to education to give back to Christian education leaders. The call to Northlake was very clear that the Lord was moving me here to further the kingdom,” said Arnold.

Arnold found her passion not only in Christian education, but specifically working with children.

“I love working with kids because they’re funny, entertaining, and for the most part, they are upbeat. I would describe them as very appreciative,” said Arnold.

According to Arnold, the best part of working with children is seeing them grow in all areas of life.

“[I love] watching them grow up and see them all the way through high school, and I love watching them grow spiritually,” says Arnold.

Spending 12 years at Northlake has offered many memories for Arnold. Her favorite memory, however, was being asked to give the commencement speech at the graduation of the class of 2017.

“I decided instead of giving them Bible verses, since it is something they’ve received all their life, I gave them the top 10 things I have learned from the class,” said Arnold. “It was very cool to see them on the edge of their seats, wanting every word that I was saying, because it was all of the things I have learned from them, helping me grow spiritually throughout their lower, middle and high school career.”

Through every happy moment to every struggle, Arnold said she stands by Romans 8:28 as the verse that has carried her through.

“Romans 8:28 says, ‘All things work together for God’s good.’ I have lived by that scripture alone,” said Arnold. “Over the course of being here both of my parents died. But I also have had great things happen, such as earning a Masters and Doctorate in Educational Leadership.”

Arnold currently is unsure about her future plans, but she will go wherever the Lord calls her. She feels her path will remain in Christian education.

Leaving a legacy behind for faculty, staff and students both in the lower, middle and upper schools, Arnold offers this advice: “My parents always told me to leave a place better than you found it. I feel that I have done that, and I feel that all should leave feeling that they have done so. It’s a great feeling to know that you have had an impact, and that you made a change that will last forever.”

About the Writer
Zac Ballard, Staff Reporter

Zac Ballard is a senior at Northlake Christian school and is part of the journalism staff. He plans to go to Southeastern Louisiana University to study...