Getting to Know the Council

Brooke Bell :))

With Senior Graduation only months away, the Student Council and Leadership are hard at work planning, organizing, and enacting fun activities for Northlake’s Student Body. Yet, before they go, some seniors sat down to answer a few questions.

Name: Kyla McDowell
How long they’ve attended Northlake: 7 years
Position: Class Treasurer

Which event has been your favorite so far?

“I would probably say… Christmas Week due to the variety of activities. I enjoyed the fact that we got to do the men’s volleyball tournament. [Also] all the treats we got to do. I really like how we got to interact with all the kids around the school that we haven’t really seen before. What I really like more about Christmas week, I like the whole planning out process we did. I enjoy how we really took our time with it… we came Sunday night to plan [and set up all the decorations]. I really enjoyed that…It [was] fun to form the planning out process. It’s nice to see it come into place.”

If covid restrictions were lifted, what is one tradition that you would add or bring back?

“It’s kinda hard. Because I mean…for the most part, this school tries hard to incorporate as many activities. With Covid, they still do really well with the restrictions, especially the sports. Even though the students are divided, we can still interact [with them all].”

What future plans do you have for Northlake’s second semester?

“Maybe not specifically Northlake as a whole … for like us Seniors, I want to create this thing where… not an activity but this thing where we all come together – where it’s like a sleepover for seniors at school. It’s more of an intimate thing where we realize we only have a few months left at this school … we can spend the little time we do have to get to know each other more. I was thinking of it being a sleepover dance type thing. The seniors would come in their pajamas, we would have different party type food – really just have a good time with each other. I don’t even know if that would be allowed.”

Due to complications, this idea is still in the planning process. However, Kyla didn’t mind if it became a tradition for the preceding senior classes as well.

If a student is hesitant to join any student clubs or committees (i.e. student body, leadership, etc.), what would you tell them?

“Just do it. To be honest, I was really scared [at first]. I wasn’t that type of person – I don’t like being watched or having people’s eyes on me…It’s a beneficial opportunity [for] you to get you out of your comfort zone and get you to go do things you normally wouldn’t do. [There’re] better opportunities for you in the future; it will truly set you up for what a leader will look like in the world…Take that leap of faith. In the end, it will all work out. I promise you it is going to have a valuable result in the end. ”

Name: Caroline Thirstrup
How long they’ve attended Northlake: 4 years
Position: Student Body Secretary

“I really like the guy’s volleyball tournament. I know for several years guys here have been wanting to make a team and this was the perfect opportunity. It was a fun event even though we (the senior class) didn’t win – which we should’ve”
“I wish … I would say the chapel. I know that we have it outside but the chapel inside the wood gym has a different atmosphere. It was really powerful to hear everyone singing praises.”

Before she answered, she had some difficulty answering. However, Kyla stopped by and shared her answer. They both agreed that the idea was a good one before Caroline answered.
“I feel that a good one – again for the seniors – if we aren’t allowed to do a big senior trip, we should have a senior field day. We can come to school and play different games and sports – like basketball – then eat lunch here so we could all have one last good memory. I feel like that would be fun.”

“I would tell them to definitely go for it. I was hesitant to run, but the group we have on leadership is not just one group. [It is made up of a bunch of different people from different friend groups.] It was an opportunity to get to know someone you wouldn’t get to know. If you have an idea for Northlake, it’s a great way to show them. I would definitely go for it if you’re hesitant because it would definitely pay off. It’s a lot of fun!”

Name: Tucker Hower
How long they’ve attended Northlake: 2 years
Position: Senior Class Vice President

“I really liked coaching powderpuff. That was fun.”

“I’m not certain about the traditions you usually do but maybe add another dance.”

“I don’t really have any. I don’t really help with the planning, I just help with the set up and clean up”

“If they are trying to join Student Leadership, just go for it. The worst that can happen is that you don’t get voted in. It’s a learning experience knowing when to lead and when to help out and tell others what to do or when to shut up and help out.”

Name: Michael Brookover
How long they’ve attended Northlake: 3 years
Position: Senior Class President

“Let me think…We did that trip to First Baptist (First Baptist Church). That was a fun thing. That day trip was an introduction to intramurals. It was fun especially for me since I was a new student and got to meet with everyone.”

“I definitely would’ve done the senior class retreat by now. I was looking forward to that. We don’t know about that yet; it’s still up in the air. You know what I would bring back? The Costa Rica mission trip! That was my favorite thing by far, but I don’t know if that counts as an event.”

“Well, it’s certainly going to be a priority to work with leadership and ministry skills to bring back events like prom and trips. We don’t solely plan for senior activities, we make ourselves accessible for the rest of the student body. ”

“I guess I would really explain the benefits. The beauty of the council this year is that we all come from different backgrounds. It gives you an opportunity to not only make new friends but to work with people with different ideas. With the student clubs, there’s anything for everybody. Theres’s STEM orientated and the Pro Life club as well as clubs that focus more on personal entertainment.”