What Music Helps Most While Studying?

What Music Helps Most While Studying?

John Barry, Staff Reporter

Have you ever been studying and found yourself being unfocused and distracted? It’s pretty common to find yourself scrolling through Instagram when you’re supposed to be writing an English paper. Music can actually help you focus on your work while you study, certain genres like Classical and even Your own personally favorite style can help your studying. 

Classical music has been studied the most when it comes to helping productivity during work and studying. In fact there’s even a name for the effect: ‘The Mozart Effect’. This effect suggests that listening to classical music actually helps your brain link neural pathways and increase your brain fucuntion. The LA Times reported a study that was done where students took an exam with and without classical music, and the students who took the classical music exam actually scored 12% higher than those who didn’t. How interesting is that!

So you don’t like Classical music. What now? Your Personal favorite genre actually has been found to help  you focus on your work and aids in your studying patterns. Your favorite music can actually improve your mood and make you feel better while studying. This makes it easier for you to do. The only time this doesn’t apply is if the beat is too fast or if it’s too distracting, such as dubstep or heavy metal. But if you have a lot of work you need to do, I’d suggest turning your favorite stuff on.