NCS Gives Back

Jessica Ferchland, Editor-in-Chief

During the week of August 31st through September 4th, NCS students and faculty gathered supplies for Hurricane Laura victims. That Friday, NCS grads, Nick and Tony Gross loaded a trailer and brought the supplies to the Cajun’s Navy’s Lake Charles headquarters.

Think. Lead. Serve. The trademark motto of Northlake Christian School was never more apparent this fall semester than during the drive for victims of Hurricane Laura. Upon arriving at Northlake, Nick and Tony were overwhelmed by the number of cases of water, boxes of non-perishable foods, diapers, and cleaning supplies bursting out of the foyer.

“We expected supplies, but we never expected this,” explained Tony Gross. “It was very humbling. Right now, if we put any more supplies in the trailer, it’s going to level!”

After a three hour trek to Lake Charles, the boys, along with the supplies, set up with the Cajun Navy’s headquarters in downtown Lake Charles. Members of the Navy’s crew sleep, eat, and give back in the parking lot of a donated building.

“It’s been a constant flow of people,” said Nick Gross a few days later. He goes on to explain, “Their first answer to “what can I get you is always: a house.’ When asked if they had eaten, one man said: ‘I ain’t eaten in two days.”

No matter what the supply or the situation when receiving it, the overwhelming response is always, “We are so thankful for y’all’s help.”

The boys will continue to bring supplies and to aid the Cajun Navy on the weekends during the relief efforts for Hurricane Laura and the recent hurricane, Sally. NCS continues to be in touch with relief efforts and answer the call given in Isaiah 58:10, “If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.” In these times of uncertainty and fear, a little light goes a long way.