McCune Discusses Boys Basketball As Team Eyes Historic Win

Sophomore Tony Walker dribbles the ball in a game against district opponent Doyle.

Colton Leggett, Editor-in-Chief

The Varsity Boys Basketball team is hitting its stride at the perfect time as they prepare for their biggest game of the season so far. The team finished the regular season with a 19-12 record. They also finished as District Champs for the first time in 16 years. They were awarded the 6th seed in the playoffs for their division. 

Head Coach Matt McCune gave his thoughts on the regular season as well as preparing for the rest of the postseason. 

“We scheduled really tough games in December to prepare us for the playoffs. We played some of the best teams in the state and really held our own,” said McCune. 

He explained that the purpose of the early tough scheduling was to set his team up to hit their stride come time for district play and the postseason. 

McCune complimented several players on their performances and stepping up this year. He mentioned senior Blain Gros as someone coming off an injury last year and playing very well, particularly on defense. McCune described senior Bill Leahy, new to Northlake this year, as not only a great player, but a great person to have on the team due to his positive attitude and leadership qualities. He stated that Jackson Ewing, a sophomore, brings not only good, hard play on the court, but also provides a great sense of humor. Sophomore Tony Walker has fought back from injury this year to go on a tear the past few weeks, averaging around 18 points per game. 

McCune believes all six of his seniors provide great play and leadership, on and off the court, and that they have a great shot to go to the final four of the playoffs and compete for a state championship. 

The boys reached 20 wins on the season on February 28th when they defeated district rival St. Thomas Aquinas, for the third time this season, 69-40 in the Regional Round of the playoffs. 

McCune commented, “It’s always nice to get a playoff win. I thought we played O.K. I wasn’t really pleased with our defense, but, offensively, I thought we were very unselfish.” 

The team is looking to make history and advance to the semifinals of the playoffs for the first time ever, but they must defeat Episocopal of Baton Rouge in the Quarterfinals first. 

McCune previewed the most important game of the year so far. 

“Episcopal is a very tough team with a lot of history behind it, but I think our team is prepared to go into that game and make it a very competitive one that we’re going to have an opportunity to win,” he elaborated. 

McCune says that he and his team are excited and feeling good to go into a fun atmosphere and play against a very good team. 

The Wolverines take on Episcopal of Baton Rouge on Friday, 3/6 at 6:30 P.M. at Episocopal. If you would like to attend the game, the address of the school is 3200 Woodland Ridge Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA 70816. They have construction on the Woodland Ridge entrance, so you will have to get to the school via Jones Creek.  

There is a fan bus being offered to students for $15, which covers the ride and game ticket. The bus will leave school at 4:15 P.M. on Friday and will return around 9:00-9:30 P.M.