Certified Nursing program new to 18-19 school year

Student Katelyn Simpson practices on Emily Craig during a Certified Nursing Assistant class.

Bailey Desselles, Staff Reporter

This year, Northlake Christian School added a new Certified Nursing Assistant program, which allows students an opportunity to become certified nurses by the end of the course The students have taken well to this class and found it to be an amazing experience.

“I learned about the class during the junior/senior retreat and I heard so many good things about it, so I switched into the class and I am very glad I did,” said junior Bobbi Sampson who is enrolled in the class this year.

While there are many courses on campus that provide students with skills, the Certified Nursing Assistant class is unique in that is provides real-world experience and prepares students in a hands-on approach for life after high school.

“This class has affected me in different ways,’ said Sampson. “This class has helped me learn the beginning lessons in medicine. I appreciate this class for helping me learn more and more about the medical field. This class has made me excited to learn about medicine and the different jobs in the medical field.”

If students pass the course, they are able to become Certified Nurse Assistants. This gives them a head start in the medical field as they will be entering college ahead of their classmates.

During this course, students learn about roles of nurses and how to manage equipment such as stethoscopes and thermometers. This involves taking temperature, measuring blood pressure, and checking heart rate.

The Certified Nursing Assistant program is one of multiple hands-on programs Northlake offers. Others include a Sports Medicine class, off campus internships, and more.