Northlake Celebrates Homecoming Week 2018 with Traditions

Queen Jeana Bellan and King Colby Desselles were crowned during half time of the Homecoming football game Friday night.

Abbey Long, Staff Reporter

Homecoming is often one of the most exciting events of the year for students at Northlake Christian School as it is spirit-filled and has a dress-up theme each school day. Homecoming week began Monday, Oct. 1 with “Morning Monday” in which students could come to class dressed in their pajamas, which led up to the Friday night Homecoming game against Independence on Friday, Oct. 5, and ended with the Homecoming dance on Saturday, Oct. 6. Homecoming Queen Jeana Bellan and King Colby Desselles were crowned during half time of the game, which ended with a loss of 10-3.

Junior Bailey Desseles who plays varsity cornerback, said the loss mostly affected the football team’s attitude for the night.

“I don’t think the loss overshadowed the fun of the week, but the way that we lost definitely shifted the attitude of the players,” said Desseles.

Although the Wolverines lost, most still found it to be one of the best weeks of their year so far. This is true for this year’s homecoming queen, Jeana Bellan, who says she was honored to have been chosen.

“Everything about [this week] is exciting! It’s such an honor to be named queen, and I can’t tell you how honestly happy it made me. I still don’t really believe it,” Bellan said.

Bellan believed it would be a close tie between the three senior maids for Queen, but was not expecting to win herself.

“I did not expect to win at all,” said Bellan. “I knew it was going to be really close between the three of us, and it really could have gone any way. Really, it was such an incredible honor to be up there with those ladies, because they rock.”

Senior maids before the Homecoming game.

Desseles also had only good things to say about his fellow dukes.

“I am friends with both Riley and Cap, and I am definitely still friends with them after winning king,” Desseles said.

Senior dukes before the Homecoming game.

From winning King and Queen, to rooting for their Wolverines, Homecoming week was one of unity, allowing students to partake and long-lasting Northlake traditions and show their school spirit.