Discovery Center offers resources for students

Kara Lewis, Editor

Even though Northlake Christian School is smaller in number, they do not lack the resources required to help all students succeed. Being one of the only private schools in the area to offer such a resource, Northlake is very proud of the work that happens in the Discovery Center.

“I think of the Discovery Center as the umbrella term for all the academic support services students can have here at Northlake,” said Joan Mondor, the Director of the center.

The small building, nestled behind the library on Northlake’s campus, provides specialized resources for students, K-12th, who struggle in the classroom.

“The Discovery Center is unique on the northshore in the way that it meets the needs of individual students with learning differences,” said Head of School, Glenn Martin.

Upper School Principal Jenni Vega said she loves that it has resources for everyone.  

“It gives students who need help the help they need. Most of our kids that need academic coaching use it for tutoring,” Vega said.

“We can do reading intervention for a 1st grader who is struggling all the way up to a senior who is struggling with chemistry or physics,” said Mondor

The idea for the Discovery Center came from Mondor herself as she watched the kindergartens she taught struggle with easy reading tasks.

“When I saw my kindergarteners not being able to read it opened my world up to cognition and brain based learning and that you were not just teaching content but you were teaching students who have brains that are working a little different and it is critical to work with them,” said Mondor

The 12 staff members that work part time or full time at the center, work hard to help students in many ways. They offer special classes, tutorings during school, and other intensive programs.

“There are so many things you can do with academic support. In the past we have had an [occupational therapist] who came and we also have a speech therapist who comes a couple days a week to help. It’s so kids can get it all right here and don’t have to go somewhere else,” said Mondor

The goal of the Discovery Center is to help students work to their best ability, even if it requires creating specialized classes such as ULP or Directed Studies.

“Directed Studies is like academic coaching. But that’s something else unique about the Discovery Center it can all be during school. [Students] don’t have to be pulled out of PE or Bible to get the help they need. The ULP program is where the class sizes are limited and we use a little bit different curriculum to do intensive work in reading and math, with teacher who are specialized,” Mondor commented.

They care greatly about their students and wish that they could reach out and help more students.

“For students who just need a little extra help. Even bright, gifted kids can need help. Help with organization or keeping things together or just someone to talk to,” said Mondor

Mondor had her undergraduate and Masters degree in elementary education with a focus in reading. She is also Certified through NILD titled a Professionally Certified Educational Therapist and certified by Feuerstein Instrumental Enrichment and trained by them which has given her a certification of Structured Literacy Therapy. Northlake has been blessed by her work on campus and will miss her as she plans on retiring after this school year.

“We are currently in the process of identifying the next leader of the Discovery Center who will execute a larger vision while growing specific services the center currently offers,” said Martin.

Even with such a great loss to the program itself, Northlake is excited for the future of the Discovery Center.

“My vision for the future of individualized instruction at Northlake is to maximize the impact of the Discovery Center and even expand Northlakes services to include a specific gifted program in the Elementary and training all teachers in gifted instruction,” commented Martin

As this school year starts to rap up Mondor is still passionate for what she does.

“I wish more parents knew about [the Discovery Center] because we are not afraid to take on any students. I find that kids with learning disabilities are often gifted but because they struggle they think there is something wrong and they stay to the back and don’t want to be noticed but they have a lot to offer. That’s why we want to help the reach their potential,” said Mondor.