Coaches make decisions about how to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Kara Lewis, Editor

During October, breast cancer awareness month, people nationwide take the time to help bring awareness to breast cancer research as well as those affected by it. Support is shown in many ways, ranging from NFL athletes wearing pink tape and cleats, to little kids making signs.

At Northlake Christian School, there has always been a supporting atmosphere for breast cancer awareness.

“[As a school] we have a long history of supporting breast cancer [awareness],” Athletic Director and football coach Tony Agresta said.

Through the years, Northlake has been involved in supporting breast cancer research by providing different areas for people to show support.

“The school has always supported each team and how they decide to support breast cancer [awareness]. Teams have done everything from using pink pom-poms to having specific games to raise money. We want to focus on the intentional aspect [of support], instead of just joining the trends,” Upper School Principal Jenni Vega commented.

As far as sports teams and the physical representation of showing support, each team and coach is allowed to do as they feel necessary and see fit.

“All teams are allowed to pretty much do what they want. Each team and each coach has their own approach and can do what they want,” Agresta said.

Although this month affects the whole school, football, volleyball, cheer and dance team coaches are the main people who have to make decisions on how they want to show support.

“I encourage my team, rather than spend the money on the pink, whatever we were going to spend, why don’t we make a gift, as a team, to cancer research and treatment, instead of just jumping in with the world,” Agresta commented.

For Cally O’Connor, the cheer team coach, the visual representation of wearing pink is good, but financial support is significant to actually make a change.

“I believe that the best way to support breast cancer awareness is by using the money you’d spend on pink items and instead donate the money directly to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation or non-profits such as Susan B. Komen For the Cure,” O’Connor commented, agreeing with Agresta.

Even so, the cheer team will wear pink at a home football game to bring awareness.

“Our home football game on Oct.12 will be our Pink game to support the cause. The girls will all be wearing pink ribbons, as well as cheering on the sidelines with our bright pink poms,” O’Connor said.

Agresta believes as Christians, we should take a more practical approach.

“The world has turned it into ‘just wear pink’. Everyone is already aware, so what can we actually do to help. I think what we need to do is pray. Sometimes it’s that the last thing on the priority list, so yes we need to make an effort but in prayer,” Agresta said.

There are many ways to support breast cancer awareness besides just wearing pink.

“[The cheer team is] also planning to sell a pink themed snack at the football game and possibly at school, where all proceeds will go to breast cancer research! Another great way to show support without wearing pink is by signing up for local walks or races where proceeds go to a foundation to support research,” O’Connor said.

Getting involved in supporting breast cancer research is important at Northlake. Students across the board are encouraged to participate in wearing pink, when allowed, and to financially support in anyway they feel called.