Musings from a graduating senior

Taylor Bourgeois (third) attends a Powder Puff game his junior year with friends Morgan Marullo, Josh Holloway, Abigail McLain and Tyler Mussachia.

Taylor Bourgeois, Staff Reporter

Well, this is it. It is kind of hard to believe that I’m now graduating, something I’ve been looking forward to since my freshman year. They say it goes by fast, and that’s somewhat true. It feels like just yesterday I had Coach Fontenot giving my family a tour for the first time. It’s from that time on I have prospered as a Wolverine and enjoyed my experience at Northlake.

Maybe the best part of my high school experience was participating in Leadership Council. Although we’ve had our ups and downs, I’ve had a blast planning events, working on homecoming week, making cheesy videos, and ditching school to pick up Chick-Fil-A with Morgan, Wesley, Abigail, Cassidy, Tayler, and Chloe. It was a blessing to be a representative of the student body with some of my best friends, and it will always be one of my greatest memories of high school.

As fun as it is to hate on something, I have an unpopular opinion: I love Northlake. It’s not perfect, as nothing is, but the relationships I’ve built with other students, teachers, and faculty members is something I really appreciate and do not take for granted. I’ve noticed that for pretty much every student in this school, there is one member at least on the faculty that they can connect with, and that’s great. I know there will always be a teacher you butt heads with, but this school does a great job with who they hire.

The Class of 2018 has never been a class without its controversy, but I truly love this class with all its faults. I know many have seen the song Braden Cowart and I wrote, but I think there isn’t any line better than the following: “You may have counted us out but, this is definitely still our house.” Wesley Brown, Braden Cowart, Thomas Morton and I had so much fun making that video–even as hard as it was.

For everyone who reads this, cherish your high school moments. Don’t complain. Enjoy it.