Northlake Christian Students Excel In Three Rivers Art Festival

Gabby Messina, Staff Reporter

Students at Northlake Christian School displayed their artistic talents at the annual Three Rivers Art Festival. The festival was held on Saturday, November 11 and Sunday, November 12 at the Heritage Bank In Downtown Covington.
The festival is open to St. Tammany Parish students from grades K-12. Ribbons are awarded to those who place, first, second, third, or as an honorable mention. The winners also received a $50 prize.
The Three Rivers Art Festival received numerous entries from Northlake students under the direction of second-year art teacher Maria Gatto. Northlake junior Christine Lirette’s piece demonstrated tremendous ability and earned an honorable mention.
“Over all, the experience is something that I look forward to for any type of competition. Instead of seeing my artwork with such a judgmental eye, I begin to appreciate what I have done and be more hopeful when the deadline approaches.”
Northlake sophomore Isabella Elias excelled with her drawing and earned third place.
“At first I wasn’t sure about entering, but I’m glad I was encouraged. I loved it, the anticipation was great as well as just being apart of it. It was amazing to have something I made next to other great pieces of art.”
Gatto is currently teaching Christine and Bella, and has been witness to their exceptional growth over the course of this year.
“Bella and Christine exhibit such a God-given artistic talent, in not only, their skill level, but the way in which they both come up with original and creative ideas with everything that they do in class.”
Northlake Christian provides students with opportunities to display their talents outside of school, and encourages them to participate in local festivities.