Watts signs as first softball player in school history

Kara Lewis, Editor

Recently signed to East Mississippi Community College, senior Kera Grace Watts has always been a powerhouse on the softball field since she started playing at the age of three. She currently plays middle infield and thrives when she is on the field. In her Northlake career, she has earned Offensive Play of the Year for three straight years as well as All Metro for three year. Her senior year she earned All District MVP.

Watts has had a successful high school career so far and is excited about continuing it in college.    

“Getting the chance to continue my athletic career past high school [is exciting]. Possibly getting the chance to move up to a power 5 school [is what I would like to do],” Watts said.

Watts has always dreamed about playing in college and at a school that’s perfect for her.

“I’ve wanted to play in college since I was little and I think it’s a great opportunity to meet new people and get the chance to move somewhere completely new to me,” Watts commented

She had a simple answer when asked why she chose her college.

“East Mississippi Community College is a great school and the coaching staff is amazing.”

She was more than just a good player as she has 50 career home runs, 12 of which were during her junior year. These stats made her second in the parish for the most homeruns in a season, a great accomplishment for any athlete.

She plans on studying computer science while working hard to be noticed by a larger school to hopefully further her softball career.

Watts is the first of many seniors at Northlake who will be signing to play collegiate sports. It is a big step for these students as they are not only finding a place to further their education, but a play to showcase their talents and join a new family.

“Naturally, we are excited to have Kera Grace be our first softball player in school history to sign, but as Athletic Director it excites me that Kera Grace is a perfect example of a student athlete who can participate in multiple sports and achieve a dream in one,” Tony Agresta said.

Northlake is always excited to have its student athlete advance their careers and the school loves the chance to support them in the future.

“Hopefully this will serve as an encouragement to others to participate in as many activities as possible in their high school career,” Agresta commented